Friday, May 20, 2016

Sight Drawing: The Lincoln Tea Room, 5/20/16

Charcoal pencils, 9 by 12 sketch paper
This is a building called the Lincoln Tea Room, located in the West Chester Borough. It is called this because it is where the first biography of Abraham Lincoln was written. I like this building because of it historic and patriotic look. It has cast iron and red white and blue flags hanging from the deck. I also really like the door that is located under the ground, which can look sort of creepy at night. I have not worked in charcoal since my freshman year of college. I was a little rusty at techniques but really like drawing with it. I think it will work better for larger drawings that I will start doing. It is good for looking at over shades of the building, to add large dark areas. 

1 comment:

  1. Charcoal can be challenging but does yield some nice effects. Working on larger paper will give you the opportunity define larger areas; and experiment with line, shape and contrast. You might consider zooming in on an area of particular interest like the door and magnify it on the page. Draw on!

    ReplyDelete